iFive Alliances

Your Revenue Driver

Use of LinkedIn/Social Networks for marketing

Does any have any tips/techniques for use of these networks in marketing/business development?

-Don Bolen

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stephanie I agree whole heartedly! Social Media is a place to ask questions and gain interest in others. You can provide information that adds value to all humankind or give something for free that businesses and others can start using immediately but at the end of the day it's about getting someone interested in you not promoting or selling your business. I love the way that Gina Carr described the individual SM platforms that you mention . I am implementing the same "dating" strategy as you describe for my clients as well. It's all about building Trust and you can only do that from an interest point of view. We came up with a minimum of 12 weeks, should be 12 months, before you ask anyone to look at your services or try selling your product in Social Media. If they don't ask you then you can't go looking for them.

I believe that the other marketing venues such as your website, eMarketing (which is not Social Networking), advertising, networking events and the old fashion phone are better ways to inquire about prospects or additional contacts. You can ask your current contacts for introductions but don't assume you can sell to them. Ask for their help first and be genuinely interested in their stuff.

Here is the problem, if you have been in Social Media for any amount of time at all you can't assume that you can go to other contacts to promote your services or show your expertise, they have to come to you. You can gain contacts that may turn into something but make sure you are interested in what they are doing and be willing to listen to their ideas and their services before promoting yours. It is a new world and we will stumble along the way but for those who grasp the new concepts of building trust before selling they will be the victors. Patience is not a trait we seem to have much of in the US or in sales, but it is the only trait that will allow any business or organization to be successful when using Social Media.

Stephanie Ackley Crowe said:
Just attended the National Speakers Association-Georgia meeting this Saturday, and Gina Carr ("The TribeBuilder" social media expert http://ginacarr.blogspot.com/) said to think of it like this:
..LinkedIn is 'the office' - you wouldn't invite people to your office you didn't have a connection with ..Facebook is a 'backyard barbecue'
..Twitter is a 'cocktail party'
..Your blog is your 'home'

I like to think of all these connections in terms of dating (though it's been a while :)). From a sales perspective, you don't walk up to someone and say, "Hey wanna date me?" Instead, you find things in common, talk sports or current events or people you know in common, and see if there's a fit. If you ask them about them enough (think 'Informational Interview' like in job hunting) they will see your interest, and potentially start getting interested in you. I'm no expert, but this is the guru-strategy I'm implementing from others.

Another great quip from Gina to share ... remember this when you post updates, wherever they are: it is social media, not broadcast media - so make sure it's socialized (personalized) in some way.

Paul Terlemezian said:
I'm using LinkedIn, but I got a message back from somebody saying it's an inappropriate use of LinkedIn to make contacts. Basically, he's a web marketing guy and I said I was networking, reaching out to people who might not be aware of solutions of the type I am an expert with.

The message was not salesy at all. Isn't this what LInkedIn is all about?

How would you respond?
Here's a useful link to "Seven Truths About Social Media" which I also chose to retweet. Here are the seven points it makes:

1. Social Media Doesn't Mean "Free" (the sites are usually free but your "Time is money")
2. Genuinely Help and Add Value to the Conversation (don't treat it as an advertising platform)
3. Consider Setting up a Corporate Blog (people are tired of politcally correct PR statements or more press releases)
4. Social Media Isn't Plug-and-Play (cross-cultivate with a strategy)
5. Don't Flood with Messages (are you trying to win by repearting your version of the truth more often and more loudly?)
6. Engage Related Blogs (find those that help your audience)
7. Monitor Your Social Media Success (what doesn't get measured, doesn't get done)

Enjoy!

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/slideshows/show.aspx?c=79122&utm_...
I agree with Pat.

Mark

Paul Terlemezian said:
http://www.newmediahire.com/profiles/blogs/9-social-media-topics-that

I followed this link from a linkedin discussion and found it to be very good. It is titled "9 Social Media Topics that Need to Die" and was written by Amber Naslund - a social media and marketing practioner.

She provides a useful rant on the following topics:

1. Getting more Followers and Fans ("...people aren't marbles...")
2. Misdefined ROI ("...lack of a business case...")
3. Entitlement to Free Stuff ("...they don't owe you a thing...")
4. Joining the Conversation ("...it's become so diluted...')
5. What's the Next Whatever ("...looking for permission to be messy...")
6. Content is King ("...Like h_ _ _ ...")
7. The Quest for Universal Contants ("...find out for yourself by actually doing something...")
8. Social Media Experts and Proverbial Snake Oil ("..prove your substance through what you do...")
9. Social Media is Hype, Stale, Old, Whatever ("...put your money where your mouth is...")

I think she is 9 for 9 - correct on all accounts - what do you think?
I wrote a blog on this quoting her blog. http://tinyurl.com/yg9ktft Great read. Check the full story that Mark referenced.

J. Mark Walker said:
I agree with Pat.

Mark

Paul Terlemezian said:
http://www.newmediahire.com/profiles/blogs/9-social-media-topics-that

I followed this link from a linkedin discussion and found it to be very good. It is titled "9 Social Media Topics that Need to Die" and was written by Amber Naslund - a social media and marketing practioner.

She provides a useful rant on the following topics:

1. Getting more Followers and Fans ("...people aren't marbles...")
2. Misdefined ROI ("...lack of a business case...")
3. Entitlement to Free Stuff ("...they don't owe you a thing...")
4. Joining the Conversation ("...it's become so diluted...')
5. What's the Next Whatever ("...looking for permission to be messy...")
6. Content is King ("...Like h_ _ _ ...")
7. The Quest for Universal Contants ("...find out for yourself by actually doing something...")
8. Social Media Experts and Proverbial Snake Oil ("..prove your substance through what you do...")
9. Social Media is Hype, Stale, Old, Whatever ("...put your money where your mouth is...")

I think she is 9 for 9 - correct on all accounts - what do you think?

It's been a while since I've posted to this discussion (unrelated to Pat or Mark's requests - LOL) because LinkedIn has become so commonly effective that I felt like this discussion was more about ancient history than helping others learn something new. What I recently discovered is that even some of the best and brightest are not using LinkedIn well so here are some quick suggestions for simple things to do in order to be more effective with LinkedIn as a marketing tool:

1. Make sure your company website is linked to your profile (I told you it would be simple - you would be surprised as I was to see how often salespeople are not doing this.)

2. List all your jobs with brief descriptions (this makes it easier for former colleagues and prospects to find you.)

3. Recommend someone that has helped you - do it today! (Do not ask for recommendations.)

4. Join a discussion group that a prospect is in and that you are sincerely interested in as well.

5. Start a discussion on something you want to learn more about

What's your favorite simple tip for LinkedIn effectiveness?

I read this Gartner Article today and it has become one of my top two favorite articles on the use of social media.

1. Participation - Getting communities to work for you

2. Collective - People must swarm to the effort

3. Transparency - The community organizes and validates content

4. Independence - Provides the "mass" in mass collaboration

5. Persistence - Contributions must endure for scaled value

6. Emergence - Communities self-direct for greater productivity

Much of this relies upon taking our hands off the tiller....

Here is my other favorite article.

Stephanie,

Loved the feedback, as always! The classifications seem correct. And, humor is always good :-)

No matter the forum, just providing value with no reciprocity is key, me thinks. I'll be starting a new blog on my www.primordialleader.com website. It's sole use will be to present ideas from my books Primordial Leadership and my coming Primordial Marketing and Sales. They introduce powerful, provocative Neuroscience findings about human behavior that can be leveraged ("Judo Principle(tm)") for more effective results. Other leadership insights will be provided as well.

Blog participants will be asked to respond to a posting, add ideas, share successes (and otherwise), and educate others via collaboration.

The first blog will be about the critical nature of right-brained envisioning power for leadership stature to be ascribed by the group (all leadership power is given; even in the military). People will line up behind the best vision. Many examples will be provided about how the best envisioner will always be at the top of the "pecking order." Developing envisioning skills will be covered.

Then we will use Neuroscience findings to understand the key, DNA-level Primal Drives(tm) in people, and ourselves, as a context for excellent self-management and the merit-based motivations of others. The goal is to "Unleash the Results Animal In Us...and in Others" (the sub-title of Primordial Leadership).

Then we will look at leadership Values, and what not to do(!), per Chapter 4.

Then we will look at at fact that the "Glass Ceiling" does exist in may types of businesses and how it can be out-maneuvered.

Subsequent topics will include: "Creativeship;" engendering "zeal:" effective change management; differentiated strategic value positioning; powerful marketing messaging; unequaled B2B sales execution excellence, and many related topics.

All of these will be posted  at www.primordialleader.com, in the spirit that the responses will be a "we is greater than me."

Our nation's economy, and safety, are a function of leaders' effectiveness. My goal is to help.

Larry Duckworth (lduckworth@primordialleader.com).

P.S. Paul, thanks for this blog.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Terlemezian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service